California Low Cost Car Insurance Program
Low income good drivers can now apply for low cost insurance in California to meet the state's financial responsibility laws.
California Drivers Pay Less for Car Insurance!
What is the California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program(CLCA)?
The primary goal of the California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program (CLCA) is to provide an affordable auto insurance option to low-income good drivers.
California Law requires that all drivers be insured. However, too many low-income drivers remain uninsured because the costs of standard insurance premiums are beyond their financial reach.
The California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program provides affordable liability only auto insurance that meets the state's financial responsibility laws.
The program is administered by the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan and policies are written by California Licensed Insurance Companies.
The CLCA program is not subsidized by taxpayers. Rates are set and adjusted annually in each county so that the premiums collected are sufficient to cover losses and expenses in each county.
CLCA EXPANSION UPDATE!The California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program is now available statewide. The Commissioner has determined that there is a need for this program in the final 16 counties. All of the counties are now listed below:
All California Counties are Now Eligible and Listed Below:
Alameda Alpine Amador Butte
Colusa Contra Costa
Fresno Glenn Humboldt
Inyo Kern Kings
Lake Lassen Los Angeles
Marin Mariposa Mendocino Merced
Modoc Mono Monterey Napa
Nevada Orange Placer Plumas
Riverside Sacramento San Benito
San Luis Obispo
- Installment plans are available for as little as 15%, with the balance payable in up to six payments.
- Optional Uninsured Motorists and Medical Payments coverage are also available; for more information about these coverages call 1-866-60-Auto-1.
- A 25% Surcharge is added to the base rate for unmarried, male drivers ages 19-24.
Who is eligible for the California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program?
To be eligible for the CLCA program: you must meet the following requirements:
- Be able to meet low-income requirements (1 person = $25,525, 2 persons = $34,225, 4 persons = $51,625, 8 persons = $86,425)
- Meet the good driver standard (no more than one at-fault property damage only accident or more than one point for moving violation in the past three years)
- Be at least 19 years old
- Have been continuously licensed to drive for the past three years
- Have a vehicle valued at less than the $20,000
- Good Drivers Are Defined As (See Chart):
How do I sign up?
This program is administered by the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan. To receive more information about how to sign up, please call the CLCA hotline at: 1-866-602-8861.
How do I get more information about the CLCA Program?
The California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program is brought to you by the California Department of Insurance. Consumer Education and Outreach is conducted by the Department's Community Relations Branch.
The California Low Cost Automobile Insurance Program is brought to you by the California Department of Insurance and is administered by the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan (CAARP).
Source: California Department of Insurance